Saturday, March 27, 2010

Down to the River


Lately, fishing has figured prominently into my life and art as my teenage son has taken up fly fishing with a passion. 
I'm grateful that he's chosen such a picturesque hobby.  There's something wonderful about watching a fisherman wading and casting, wading and casting, all afternoon in the sparkling water.  It's also a good challenge to my ability as a speedy painter; the boy doesn't stay in one place for very long. 
Last week we spent a sunny afternoon at the Bow River pursuing our separate goals.  He didn't catch a fish but I did manage this small sketch.  It's a bare-bones version of my usual style: there is very little underpainting and I didn't even have time to tone the canvas.  The sky, unlike my usual complexly-layered affairs, is just blue on white canvas. 
My son moved to a different site during the painting so I only had him as a model for 20 minutes.  I think that was for the best.  If he'd been there longer, I'd probably have tweaked and fussed and killed the piece. 
This summer, the boy and the river will be my teachers and help me to strip my paintings to the simple, honest essentials.   I know my work will be better for it. 

4 comments:

brian booth said...

I love your work! I keep telling myself, keep it simple. Less is more. Peace, Brian

georgiegirl said...

how wonderful that you are both able to enjoy complimentary pursuits~ so nice to share your passion with a partner in crime ; ) nice painting ingrid, you have captured the immediacy of the moment.

Dean H. said...

Reminds me of when I fly fished years ago! Pleasant memories.
Love this expressive painting, Ingrid! The colors and strokes sing!
Details can really bog a painting down...I'm guilty of it much of the time.
I'm going to have to try a few with short time limits.

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks for the great comments on this little piece!

I've been thinking of time limits myself Dean. I teach a weekly 3 hour class in oils and every week I've got the students doing a new piece after a 20 to 30 minute demo.
They do some wonderful work in just 2 1/2 hours. Occasionally, when they bring a piece back to finish up a little section, it gets overworked and dies. I need to pay attention to this lesson myself.
Happy painting!