Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Fishing Groupie




Magical Morning
20 x 20
I'm really hooked on fly fishing: not doing it, just painting it.  Luckily for me, the Bow River is a world-class, trout river.  I don't think that there's been a week that I haven't seen a fisherman or several standing in the current, trying to outwit a fish.  
I make sure to carry my camera on my walks so that I can capture the action.  
This image is, again, a composite of two references.  The pose of the fisherman was taken from a photo with really flat lighting and the lighting came from a reference with no action.  Put them together and I'm happy.  
I liked trying to create depth through the use of the line and the small splash in the foreground.  This and the graduated width of the ripples, helped to create the illusion of a fore, middle and background.  
But I think what pleased me the most was getting the mood right.  The man in the photos was quiet and focused as he fished, completely lost in the moment.  Some of that focus is there on the canvas.



2 comments:

Dean H. said...

Love it, Ingrid! Another great combining of two photo refs. I notice the fisherman is left handed. I really like the sun on his hat and shoulder!

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks Dean! Once our weather shapes up, I intend to get out and paint from life instead of from photos. Spring is hard to come by in this part of the world.