Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mix and Match












Rarely is a reference photo good enough to paint without making some changes, big or small.
Sometimes I just move a tree, other times I do much more.

The painting above is the result of the combining of two photos: picture A had a great pose and Picture B had wonderful light and a beautiful setting.  The hard part was to change the light on the figure in A in order to fit him into his new surroundings.  Luckily, he was wearing the same shirt in both photos, so I could see what setting B did to the colours and extrapolate onto the fabric folds from A. 
Confused yet?  I sure was.
In all, this was a challenge, but also a pleasure.  I've wanted to do something with both of these images for a couple of years, but didn't feel competent enough to pull it off.  This painting shows me that my skills have grown.  That's always a nice feeling.

1 comment:

Dean H. said...

Very believable and well done combination of reference photos. Love, love, your painterly style!