Monday, June 7, 2010

Practise Non Attachment

Old Soul
16 x 12
A gallery owner once told me that some works didn't sell because, he believed, the artist was too attached to them.  That clinginess lingered in the finished work and turned off potential buyers.
Flaky?  Maybe.  But it's pretty easy to get attached to a work. 
I put my in-progress paintings up on the wall so that I can study them throughout the day and figure out my next move.  Seeing them every day can  make them feel like part of the decor: an indispensable part, and that does make letting go pretty tough.
But letting go is easier if I concentrate on the process of painting, rather than on the product.  If the thrill is in the problem solving and paint application, then, once those are done, the finished painting feels like a piece of history.  The experience will stay with me even after the painting has found a new home.
So I practice non attachment, and send my works out into the world with my blessings, hoping that they never return.

3 comments:

Prince said...

Hi,Dear
Very nice and marvelous post about all impressive............
Landscapers Calgary

Mary Anne Cary said...

I enjoyed reading your posts, and seeing your paintings Ingrid. I really love your loose style. You are also a good writer, and convey your thoughts on painting very well, like a good teacher. I wish you were closer, I would take a class with you!

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks Mary Anne. That's a great compliment coming from you. You do lovely work.