Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Altering an Oil Painting

Dappled Light 
9 x 12

Cows.  Not my usual subject by any means. 
Sharon and I drove around in the lush, green countryside recently and found a small herd sheltering from the afternoon sun under a stand of trees.  Before they decided to move back to grazing, we set up on the road nearby and started to paint them. 
Inevitably, I suppose, they did move - a lot.  Cows moved in and out of my view, but, because they all have similar colouring and shape, I could refer to another cow to finish painting anyone who had risen and moved on. 
Originally this piece had an extra cow in the lower left corner.  I thought it would be a good, diagonal lead in to the composition.  It wasn't. 
Luckily, I hadn't used much impasto paint on that one, so I just shaved off some of the thicker dry paint with a palette knife and painted grass, tree trunks, and the legs of the cow on the left in the newly vacated spot. 
I just love the flexibility that oils give to make major changes like these.  I couldn't have done that when I painted in watercolour!

2 comments:

valnouveau said...

lovely works :)

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks for the kind words!