Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fabulous Flowers!

Autumn Bouquet  24 x 20"

My next workshop is something new for me: florals. Lately, and ironically, given the time of year, I've really started to enjoy painting flowers. A big bouquet allows me to paint for much longer than any other subject that I've found so far, and that's what makes it so fun. I often overwork landscapes because they seem to be done much too quickly. Just when I'm warming up and getting a handle on the subject, I've pretty much filled up the canvas and painted everything of importance. Then I get into the unimportant stuff, then I tweak a bit, and then it's sunk.

Not so with florals. I can roam over the canvas endlessly, adding bits and flourishes. It's very satisfying!  

My workshop is on November 6 at the Calgary School of Art.  If you're in Calgary, I hope you'll sign up.


No comments: