Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

 Little Creek and the Bow 
20 x 20

Winter Light 
11 x 14

I've embraced the season - finally - and am enjoying the patterns of light on snow once again.  Jill at Collector's Gallery forced me into this acceptance by mounting a winter-themed, group show which opened yesterday.  I had to do snow to do the show!

It's actually pretty tough to paint snow.  At first, when you look at it, there seems to be only cool shadow (usually blue) and warm sunlight reflecting off of the white.  But, as always, the more that you look, the more you see.

I find it's necessary to add warm reds into the lower layers of snow paintings.  This not only creates interesting grays as you layer on different blues, but it also supplies the warm end of the spectrum, without which a painting seems just too chilly and artificial.  To my eye, there are all of the colours of the spectrum in every scene, and omitting one leaves a sense of incompleteness to the work.  But that might just be me.

The paintings above are two of the works in the show at Collector's, and depict two of my favourite things: a creek in Carburn Park, where I jog every day; and light shining through trees.  Both of these subjects make up an inordinate amount of the pictures on my hard drive, and I've painted them many times. 

7 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

These are both absolutely wonderful, but I especially like the one with the stream. Your range of colors in the snow is masterful!

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks so much, Claire! Snow is a wonderful subject, but I'd gladly try my hand at a plein air palm tree and a beach right now!

Erik said...

Beautiful paintings Ingrid, and interesting observations about the red colors in the shadows, good food for thought, and observation.

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks Erik!

SKIZO said...

I enjoyed your
work very much

Jane said...

Hi Ingrid. I looked through all of your blog, like it a lot, your paintings are very fresh.

Ingrid Christensen said...

Hello, Jane and Skizo.

Thank you both for your kind comments about my work. It's wonderful to get encouragement.