Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reworking a Dry Painting

Mandarins and Stocks 16 x20"

I've been enjoying my fabulous fake flowers and painting lots of lush florals in the studio lately. The snow may sparkle outside, but inside it's mid summer.

While most of my paintings are done wet in wet in one session, this piece has had a couple of different incarnations on its way to maturity. I've changed the colour scheme almost completely from the original which had a more neutral beige background. By draping broken strokes of blue over it, I linked the blue in the vase with its setting, and created a nice vibration in the background. This would have been hard to get had the underlying paint been wet.

When I go back into a painting that has dried, I make sure that it is, in fact, thoroughly dry. If you paint over oils that have begun to set and are sticky, you run the risk of premature cracking down the road.
Then I oil the piece out to reduce friction and resaturate the colours. To do this I brush a thin layer of walnut oil (my usual medium) over the whole painting and then rub away most of it, leaving just a whisper of oil behind, When I paint over this, it has the smooth, easy application of wet paint. This extra layer of oil, also helps to fatten up any sunken areas of the painting which have become matte and unattractive as they have dried. This is a particular problem with the darks, which tend to be applied in a leaner way, either through thin application or by the addition of solvent.

I think this piece is done now. I hope you like it!

5 comments:

Nita Leger Casey said...

Beautiful , great light !

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks, Nita! I love the street scene in your blog today. It makes me long for summer.

Erik said...

The blue streaks really give the background depth, very nice Ingrid.

Ralph said...

wow what wonderful artwork they are so alive and beautiful.

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks Erik and Ralph.
Have a great painting day!
Ingrid