Saturday, April 23, 2011

Experimental Painting

Weeping Birch
32 x 26

Robert Genn's recent letter about the importance and fun of artistic play really struck home.  Sometimes it's easy to get too serious in the studio and I find myself editing as I paint.  Instead of exploring and trying to find new ways to use the paint to express myself, I do the same sort of subject that I've done before, thinking ahead to its placement in one of my galleries.  Consistency of work does matter to galleries.

Luckily, I catch myself now and then and allow myself to just play and try new things.  "Weeping Birch" comes out of this spirit.  I wanted to paint a portrait of the tree in my front yard, making it as multi layered and majestic as the tree itself.  Instead of working wet-in-wet as I normally do, however, I made drippy, spattered, warm layer of abstract colour over the entire canvas and let it thoroughly dry.  Then I went over it and painted the tree, making sure that plenty of the underpainting was untouched in the final painting.  The white, papery trunk of the birch allowed lots of scope for playing with bright, light colours and, by using more medium than usual, I could create textures that didn't immediately look like brushwork.  This was a refreshing change in the surface of my work.

I enjoyed this method of working and am going to do more of these.  The only thing that bothers me is waiting for the underpainting to dry.  Still, if I get several paintings underway at once, I should be able to overcome my impatience.

Next, I think, I'll do a figure using this approach, and I'll do more work in designing the underpainting.  This play has, I hope, launched a series.

6 comments:

Dean H. said...

This method brings out gorgeous multi color shifts, Ingrid!! LOVE it!

One thought on the first layer. I use multi color thinned acrylic to tone my supports.

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks Dean for the comment and the tip.
I've acrylic for toning in the past, but wanted this to be just in oils - mostly to see how it would work out. They certainly do behave differently and the types of drips are visibly different as well. They tend to drizzle down in a meander rather than slide straight down. The drizzles worked well for the subject, I thought.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really nice tree! BrookStreamStudio (blogspot)

Dwayne

DAREL JAVIER said...

The brush stroke is gorgeous, I like the effect and the style of the painting. :)

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks, Darel!

Chris Open said...

Visually stunning! I love this one. I guess the warm dark colour bottom right shows the underlayer? (It would have been nice to see a photo of that first layer too - hope you don't mind me saying that.)
Chris.