Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Spring Session of Painting from Life Course

Toward the Rockies
12 x 10
This week I announced the Spring session of my Painting from Life course and it's different from the courses that I've taught in the past.  In this course, we'll focus on the figure, working from models in the studio, and on the landscape, working plein air - or "en plein air" as those in the know say!

Two factors made me choose this challenging format for the course: my increased competence in plein air work, and the unusually warm winter that we've been having.  Both have seen me getting out much more often and I thought it would be nice to take my classes out to experience the same fun that I do.  

My goal is to teach students how to nail values and colours right away, before the light changes and their original vision is lost.  This isn't how we'd normally work in the studio from a still life, or even from a model.  There we'd have 3 leisurely hours to lay in a pattern of darks, develop midtones and the knock in the showy lights, chatting as we do so.  Outdoors, I'm hoping to get one or two small, fresh paintings from students every class.  These will provide the source material for larger paintings that we'll do in the studio on rainy days or in the Fall session.  

There are still spots available for this course which runs Tuesday afternoons or Wednesday evenings at  the Calgary School of Art.  I hope you'll join me for the fun!

No comments: