Thursday, May 10, 2012

Springtime Plein Air

Early Spring
12 x 9
Spring has started and it's an exciting time to go outside and use the pochade box.

I spent a day in my favourite local park last week and was lucky enough to get this view at the first set up.  I loved the subtle backlighting and the suggestion of fresh new green that was peeking out on the trees.  During the course of the warm day, the trees leafed out noticeably and I got a sunburn.  The season really are changing!

This painting was done on double oil primed linen - a surface that hasn't always been lucky for me in the studio.  The marks often seemed characterless.  But, out in the park with a time constraint and lots of distractions, I couldn't fuss with it like I can indoors and that turned out to be a good thing.  I was nearly done the piece before I realized that I hadn't been fighting the surface at all.  The marks have personality and the treatment stayed fresh.  I'm glad that I didn't give up on the linen too soon.


No comments: