Sunday, September 1, 2013

Coarse linen and textural paint

Look Away
24 x 12
Flat shadows and dimensional lights: words I try to paint by.  It's not always easy because there's so much interesting and subtle detail in the shadow areas - gentle temperature changes which suggest the form - but when I give in to my oc impulses and depict them, I end up with a mixed message of a painting; one in which my goal isn't clear: am I most interested in the lit or the shadow side?

In this painting I kept the shadows to warm, thin scumbles and really laid it on thick in the lights.
You can see just how thick in this detail:

Like cake frosting, oil paint can be trowelled on in luscious layers, and it seems a shame when a painting doesn't show some of that natural, sculptural quality.

You can see that the fabric weave on this piece is very visible.  I'm experimenting with a coarse linen that's meant for large-scale work.  It's thick and heavy, and I like the way it resists buckling during stretching, but I bought it for its obvious texture, figuring it would push me to a more varied surface treatment.  In some places the weave is very visible, in some it's completely obscured, and in others it's somewhat visible.  On a smooth linen, I can get those paint consistencies as well, but this linen emphasizes them in a way that I like... this week.  Next week, who knows what I'll be looking for in a surface?  Ultra-smooth wooden panels, no doubt.

Happy painting!

 



6 comments:

Bobbi Dunlop said...

This is simply scrumptious, Ingrid. Love the sculptural and textural qualities of this piece!

So beautiful!

Ingrid Christensen said...

Thanks, Bobbi, my tireless reader. I appreciate your lovely comments!

Arto Isotalo said...

Beautiful piece! I really like the subtle color variations and brushwork here. Let me know if you're interested in trading paintings someday :)

Ingrid Christensen said...

I am interested in trading, Arto. I love your work and that's a great idea. Something painted from life would be wonderful as I think there's more of the painter in those pieces.

Anonymous said...

what kind canvas linen it this???and were i can buy it

Ingrid Christensen said...

It's Claessens #29 oil primed linen.
I get it from Blick Art Supplies. They're great value.