Simple,strong, and wrong
12 x 5.75
Yesterday was no exception as I found myself rendering the folds of her dress and the features of her tiny face. Luckily, I managed to avoid the usual pitfalls by switching to a larger brush and simplifying everything that I could. The multiple folds became 3 or 4 large ones and her face, thanks to the clumsy inaccuracy of the brush, became a suggestion without being precious.
My biggest struggle was with the legs which I`d slapped on with confidence in an almost-correct position. They weren`t right, but they were `good`. Robert Genn in his blog `The Painter`s Keys`once referred to it as `wrong and strong`, and it caused a real dilemma. My option was to repaint the legs entirely and, inevitably, lose the freshness of the marks. I decided to let them remain as they were. If it had been an error in the focal area of the upper torso, I`d have made a different choice, but I decided that, for their level of importance, they legs could stay as they were.
I think it was the right decision. My overall aim of rendering her in a simple, strong statement was best served by letting it slide.